Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Shine On- cheap and easy DIY Lights!

I've been addicted to DIY lights for some time now. Perfect lighting sets the ambiance and mood of a room, and what's better than creating beautiful lighting from recycled material? My idea of a perfect space is one that has dim lighting--even when I am studying or crafting, I enjoy the lights to be dim because I don't like feeling like I am an in some kind of interrogation room at a cop shop. As you've seen with the DIY lace lamp previously posted, it's possible to create your own light for not even a quarter of the cost that you would spend at stores such as Ikea, Pier One, World Market, or any home goods store.

I really enjoy these glowing outdoor orb lights because they're very ethereal and quaint, yet simple and unassuming. To create these beauties, you need a string of white christmas lights (or whichever color you prefer) and opaque glass shades, which can be found at any thrift store or home goods store. For a high end look that costs next to nothing, these lights should shine on in any garden!

 
For this project, all you in are: 
and 


Another set of lights that are very inexpensive and easy to make are egg carton flower lights from Esprit Caban. You can paint them any color and string them along your ceiling, behind your favorite chair, or above your bed for a relaxing glow!


This DIY recycled wine bottle light from Wit and Whistle is very creative and gives a feeling of nostalgia to winos alike! I think it is the perfect addition to a dimly lit kitchen. It brings back happy memories of the many cafes in Paris.

As an avid origami fan, I try to incorporate origami into my home decor whenever I see an opportunity! These box lights will make a great addition to any home! Use your imagination and add color and designs to these adorable string lights! All you need are lights and paper!


Candles are a good way to set a romantic mood. Candle chandeliers are an even better way to create a romantic mood without having to spend a lot of money. You can frost them with spray paint or leave them clear--place them on your patio or inside for a warm, festive setting!



I am in love with this eco friendly and eco chic chandelier from Ecologue.  This easy DIY can set the mood at a wedding or in the home!


These cupcake lights are an adorable and festive addition to a party or a child's room!

3 comments:

  1. these ideas are great, I want to add more light to my back porch and I think the orbs would look awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well girly...I might have made you drool...but you just lit up my morning!
    I love these ideas....thanks so much!

    Have yourself a healthy lunch! You'll feel great!

    ciao bella



    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Perfect lighting sets the ambiance and mood of a room…” – I couldn’t agree more! Lighting plays a major role in making the space look beautiful and alluring. Without proper lighting, a space will look dull and uninteresting. And nowadays, you can play around with lighting fixtures to add beauty to a space. They can serve as a lighting apparatus and a design element at the same time. [Allison Shallenberger]

    ReplyDelete